Ending an Ending?

>> Saturday, May 9, 2009

I've almost finished my newest short story. Or perhaps I have finished it, depending on how you look at it. See, the ending that I intended to write isn't yet written, and the end of the scene I wrote last night would make a great ending, if somewhat more depressing (but powerful). So I have to decide whether to end it there or not. I'm very tempted to, based on my instincts. And yet, I almost hate to leave it ended without some snippet of hope.

But maybe if I end it the way I orignally intended, it wouldn't be half as good, you know?

I have a lot to mull over.

2 comments:

shield maiden May 9, 2009 at 7:03 PM  

Sometimes the best endings are the ones we don't initially want to go with because it is depressing, etc.

I would be more than willing to look at your short story with both endings and give you my opinion. I'm very much of the "depressing/powerful ending" persuasion, but who knows?

I'm glad you're still getting some writing time in! BTW-- HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!!!!

Echo May 10, 2009 at 10:30 PM  

Just from what you've said, I'd say end it there. I've read stuff by first-class authors and thought, "Why did they add that last page? The story had the perfect ending without it." I'll take the more depressing ending if it's the right one.